Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Days 8, 9 and 10


Post for Wednesday, 14 January 2009
I hadn’t realised that I was completing the Day 8 task as I set out to comment on the other participants blogs.
Day 8 led me to try to add static pages to blogger like you have in Wordpress and Edublogs from the Technically Easy website. Unfortunately, this was not as easy as I hoped. Will have to play a bit more with it. Tried to upload a free Blogger template, only to get the mysterious error message - bX-m0ky5r.

Time to move on a bit. I don’t want to get bogged down and spend hours on something that is not really needed right now. If worst comes to worst, I will go to my Wordpress account.

There is no need to try Day 9 because for now I am not planning to place ads on my blog.

For Day 10 I realised that I had to strike another balance between what went up on the top half of the fold.I rearranged things a little bit. Main thing was to follow Sue Waters and put the RSS feed at the top where it is the first thing that you see.
Was attracted to some blogger templates that had variations of sidebars such as:
1. Sidebar, column, sidebar,
2. Column, two sidebars

5 comments:

dish-mop-top said...

HI Bill,

I was chatting to Sue W last night about blog themes and we both agreed that we are never happy! No doubt that if you went to Wordpress you would probably find you missed Blogger features.
I went from general Wordpress to an "edublogger' and I am missing the old features very much;(

Good luck with the project!
Jenny Wood

Magical Bill said...

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the thoughts.

I can see how easy it is to get caught up in the search for the perfect blog that appeals to me.

Regards, Bill

Anonymous said...

However saying that about themes I do believe having pages is important. I will be interested in hearing your feedback Bill on how you go with adjusting your theme to make this happen.

Perhaps you could chat to Sarah Stewart who just did hers in last few weeks. She may have some tips.

dish-mop-top said...

Hi Bill,
I don't understand day 9 at all. I checked to see what you were doing because you are 'leading the way' in the program but you seem to have given it a miss. Maybe I will skip it for now!
Jenny Wood

Magical Bill said...

Well, I had a few goes at creating pages with Blogger. the result was that I declared myself technically incompetent and turned my computer off for a week as punishment.

When I found that I was no better at getting pages to work in Blogger after one week,I sighed deeply, and then put it in the "something to try and play with in the future box."

Have become a Wordpress convert.

Regards, Bill Oldham