Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Better Blogging challenge

Day 2 of Better Blogging Challenge (Audit of a blog site)

Summary - Day 2 ask you to look at a blog and to analyse a series of questions about it.


The guidelines for the web site audit are from the Problogger website. It is shown below with my comments in blue.

From Ms D's website

Don’t talk to them as they do - but watch carefully how they use your blog.

  • How do they navigate?For starters, I navigated across the top of the banner of the homepage and looked at the different pages. Then I saw the banner might be a web cloud and tried clicking on it. I picked tidertechie which was the only one that actually worked. I was surprised by the music and the snow flakes. I felt they were more of a distraction - but that's just me.
  • Where do they click?I did a short scan of the first three postings and then stopped. did not want to scroll all the to find out where the page stopped.
  • What do they pause to read?Paused at headings and then went to sidebar. fascinated by Ms D's file Cabinet widjet. Must try that on my class blog when school starts. Also looked at links and catergories in the sidebar. Found these to be good value.
  • What do they skip over?The other posts on the home page.

Once they’ve surfed your blog ask them some questions about the experience.

  • What were their first impressions? Did the theme change completely in the last couple of days? First time that I looked at the website a few days ago it was very clean with no distractions. Was I on a different site somehow? Today's site was a bit tizzy with the banner clashing with the cartoon.
  • What did they first think your blog was about when they arrived at it? Might be a school blog but nothing definite to show that it was.
  • Did they find it easy to read/navigate/understand? Yes. Once I looked at it more closely I felt it was put together pretty well.
  • What did they ‘feel’ when they first arrived at your blog? Confusion with the clash between the cartoon and the banner - where I was I supposed to look first?
  • What suggestions do they have on how you could improve your blog? I don't really feel confident in offering suggestions here since I am just getting started out with blogs.
  • What questions do they have having surfed your blog? Unsure.
  • What words would they use to describe the design? Tizzy at first glance but then a well ordered site.
  • What are the main things that they remember about your blog 10 minutes later? File cabinet and twitter widgets.

3 comments:

Mrs. D said...

Bill, Thanks for your audit! The first time you visited the site, I believe you were on my about page: tidertechie.edublogs.org/about
This time you were directly on my home page.

I never thought about my post pictures clashing with the top banner. I will make sure to post the pic in the second paragraph to keep this from happening. I am having problems getting the text to wrap. When I create the post, the words wrap around. When it actually posts, the pic is by itself.

I must admit that the game music from January's widget was distracting. I was planning on replacing it with a link this week since we started new classes. I just kept it for the class to enjoy while they were in here. They were SO excited about finding Duck Hunt:)

Glad you enjoyed the widgets. I love searching sites for ideas!

Thanks again for the audit. - Lisa

Magical Bill said...

Thanks, Mrs. D for the lead on some of the gadgets and widgets. I've just finished Day 3 and my journal of new accounts, user names and passwords just keeps getting longer.

I also put in a request to Michelle Martin (http://betterblog.ning.com/profile/michelemmartin) to have my blog reviewed.

All for now, Bill Oldham

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill, It was interesting to read your audit of Mrs.D blog - gave me another perspective about task two. (i'm just getting started and only up to this task today).
Thanks for dropping by my blog and leaving a comment too.
Your comments about the media in Mrs.D blog was thoughtful and it lead me to consider that auditing a blog might be differently approached depending on its purpose.
Carole