Monday, May 25, 2009

Getting Blogged (bogged) Down??




Good evening everyone.

Sorry that I have not posted for awhile. I have been going through a Luddite stage of wondering if my life is better without technology or without as much of it. Here is what got me started thinking!

I recently flew from Melbourne to Louisville, Ky to see my Dad who is 90 years old. As I returned home to Melbourne, I became increasingly irritated by the people using mobile phones around me. Either they just talked a load of codswallop or they would still be talking as the pilot said we would not take off until all the passengers had turned off their phones.

At first I thought it was because I was tired. But then I realised that I was tired of feeling pressured to read and comment on a whole bunch of blogs that did not seem to give me any benefits that I could see.

Would I rather be playing classical guitar? For now the answer is yes.

There is a bit of a let down from being online with a wonderful group of students one night a week last year using Skype and Elluminate and a few other technologies as we studied Online Learning and Education and Flexible Learning Environments as part of a course at the University of Melbourne. There was not only a feeling of connectedness, but a feeling of achievement as well.

Maybe that sense of enthusiasm and motivation is what is different.

More to come about this.

Right now I am using Wordpress and Blogger with my classes with the students set as contributors and also trying to get them to comment in each others blogs as part of a teamwork approach. It has its ups and downs.

If any one wished to add a comment for them, it would be appreciated. One class is Year 11 Business and another is Year 11 Multimedia.

No comments: